Monday, March 15, 2010

Japan, 2002 (List)


3-15-10 Japan, 2002 (List)


I started keeping fairly detailed lists of what I was buying (again) in 2002. Here’s what I bought in Japan in 2002, that wasn’t a Japanese domestic artist:


ALAN BOWN, THE – JEU DE MASSACRE (O.S.T.), BMG JPN CD5

ATOLL – TERTIO, KING JPN LP re-issue

BALANESCU QUARTET – EAST MEETS WEST: YMO COVERS, ALFA JPN CD

LILICUB – ZOOM, Xiii BIS FR CD French pop

MEEK, JOE – I HEAR A NEW WORLD, EM JPN LP re-issue

POLNAREFF, MICHEL – NEW GIFT PACK BOX, EPIC/SONY JPN 2LP French pop

ROUDOUDOU – JUST A PLACE IN THE SUN, POLYDOR FR CD French electronica

SCARLET’S WELL – ISLE OF THE BLUE FLOWERS, SIESTA ES LP Monochrome Set

SCHMIDT, IRMIN – YOU MAKE ME NERVOUS, SPOON GER 12” W/PS Can keyboardist

V.A. MY LEFT PUSSYFOOT, PUSSYFOOT UK CD Howie B’s Pussyfoot label

V.A. – ROLLING STONES WORKS, DERAM JPN CD songs The Stones gave away, mostly to UK 60’S artists


The Alan Bown CD single is a soundtrack, sounding very 1967. Probably the world’s only CD of it was originated in Japan.


I very much had “vinyl fever” by 2002, so to re-buy the Atoll “Tertio” album was a natural for me – it’s still my favorite Atoll album, and I recently got a new CD version of it! (Paper sleeve CD – still no bonus tracks!)


The Balanescu Quartet “East Meets West” is them playing Y.M.O. cover versions, in a 20th century music style. Again, likely originated in Japan.

Never had much luck finding CD’s by the French band Lilicub – I believe “Zoom” is album #3. Pop music.


The Joe Meek “I Hear A New World” vinyl re-production is amazing – looks great, sounds great. It’s one of the most “out” records ever made – and the Japanese did a beautiful job on it.

Always on the lookout for new Michel Polnareff product – and Tokyo was full of stuff I didn’t already have! A lovely LP boxed set!


Roudoudou is a French electronica band, and rather good. I’ve only ever seen their CD’s for sale when I visit Japan. I think this is album #2.


Still looking for a CD of this Scarlet’s Well album. I spotted the vinyl for it in Tokyo, and bought it. More Monochrome Set info!


I immediately snapped up this Irmin Schmidt 12” when I saw it – it was inexpensive, and from an album that I really like.


I couldn’t find Pussyfoot label collections in L.A. – but it was no problem in Tokyo to find “My Left Pussyfoot” – for it’s Toshio Nakanishi content (but this CD does have mostly British guys on it).

Finally, “Rolling Stones Works” is a wonderful CD of songs they gave away – or produced – best cut here: an instrumental track by Ian Stewart. Fantastic!


Everything else I bought in Japan this trip was specifically a Japanese domestic artist.


No comments: