Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mainframe


7-15-09 Mainframe


Long ago, in a galaxy far away…I was told about a British band called Mainframe.


12" 5 MINUTES / HE SAID IT / ERIC'S REVENGE POLYDOR UK MAINX 1
1985 3 TRKS with pic sleeve
12" 5 MINUTES ON… / HE SAID IT / ERIC'S REVENGE POLYDOR UK MAINF 1
1985 3 TRKS with pic sleeve
7" TALK TO ME / (COMPUTER PROGRAM) MC2 UK MC 005
1983 5 TRK EP; with pic sleeve
LP TENANTS OF THE LATTICE-WORK MC2 UK MC 007
1983 2 TRKS insert


John Molloy and Murray Munro were the core of Mainframe. They also made records as “The Noise of Art” (“Into Trouble”), but I don’t have a copy of that!


I believe I was told about Mainframe by Hemen Pathak of Nurse With Wound, who I was friendly with. Hemen told me that the C.M.I. Fairlight (sampling) keyboard had recently arrived on the scene, and that only a handful of people in England had one. Hemen told me that the group Mainframe were probably the only people who actually knew what to do with one. He recommended I try and find a UK 12” called “5 Minutes” (Polydor UK MAINX 1, 1985).


Well, I got a copy and it’s a fantastic 12” single – really amazing. Me and all of my music friends went nuts over this single, this band. We played it at parties, and people always asked who it was. We waited patiently for an LP to accompany “5 Minutes”, but it was not forthcoming. We never knew why.


A few years later, I got their debut album, “Tenants Of The Lattice Work”, and single “Talk To Me” – from a progressive rock record trader friend of mine. He didn’t know who Mainframe were, and he had never heard of “5 Minutes” – he only knew about the earlier stuff. As described in a leaflet found inside of “Tenants…” – there was some sort of competition on offer – with clues on the cover, in the lyrics sheet, in the run-out groove…


I was contacted by John Molloy of Mainframe a while back. He has graciously answered all of my questions about Mainframe. He told me that there was never a Polydor LP for “5 Minutes” as there was a backlash against “Fairlight bands” at that time, and that Polydor wouldn’t go for an LP. Alas, Molloy is in the U.S.A. now, and doesn’t have access to any Mainframe material. Maybe I can get him to put me in touch with Murray Munro?


I love receiving illumination on previously ‘unknown’ records!

No comments: