Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My 2009 Music Purchases


1-13-10 My 2009 Music Purchases


What did I learn from my 1,505 ‘09 music purchases in 2009?


There are a lot of 10cc B-sides I didn’t know about (“Gismo My Way”). Still can’t find A Certain Ratio’s ’08 CD “Mind Made Up”. Aksak Maboul “Onze Danses…” Japanese CD re-issue has different bonus tracks than the original CD issue. I wish I had found more of the Amon Duul II re-mastered CD’s before SPV went bust. Anglagard isn’t as good as “everybody” said they were. I never really listened to The Band “Music From Big Pink” until it was ranked highly in a Japanese magazine. I wish I could find more Barron-Knights material. Delaney Bramlett had a 45 produced by Leon Russell over 45 years ago (“Guess I Must Be Dreamin’”). Joe Cocker “Complete Fillmore Concerts” 6CD boxed set was worth pursuing. Hugh Cornwell “Hoover Dam” (CD + DVD) was pretty good. Glad I purchased all 4 x new re-issue SHM-CD’s by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. Donovan EMI UK re-mastered CD’s have some interesting bonus material, and over-all good sound. Hux Records in England finally correctly re-mastered “Kip Of The Serenes” by Dr. Strangely Strange (I’m thanked in the CD booklet, but they got my name wrong!). I bought 11 x Bob Dylan SACD in 2009 (22 x Dylan titles over-all in ’09). I developed an interest in the Bill Evans Trio in ’09 (I already had the CD’s that interested me! I got a good book about him, too). I never thought I would see the Goodthunder album issued on CD (Wounded Bird did the honors). Really happy to have found a 45 of “Roses & Rainbows” by Danny Hutton. The Impressions sounded pretty good to me in ’09, but I didn’t go for the 2CD UK collection that I saw for $27. Really liked the ’08 release by Grace Jones “Hurricane” (she was very good on stage, too). Will I ever assemble a ‘complete’ Spike Jones RCA discography? How many of the 40th Anniversary edition King Crimson CD packages will I buy? I wish Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk would hurry up with the re-releases of the first three albums on CD. I really re-discovered Jona Lewie in ’09. Glad to see Magazine back in action in ’09. I don’t remember the 2 x Robert Musso CD’s I found in ’09 from the 80’s – I guess they must’ve existed then, but… Loved seeing The Necks play live @ the Redcat, and being able to buy 4 or 5 CD’s from them directly. Rather amused that I found 3 x used Alan Price CD’s in ’09. I bought 8 x Rolling Stones SACD’s in ’09 (15 x Stones titles over-all in ’09). Had a bit of interest in Santana last year (debut album 2CD deluxe version, “Amigos” with it’s Tadanori Yokoo artwork etc). Happy to see a new 2CD volume of soundtrack material from Irmin Schmidt. I never knew that “Ragtime Cowboy Joe” by David Seville & The Chipmunks was in true stereo. Nice to finally get Jeff Simmons “Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up” on CD, via CCM. I never knew there was a Japanese LP pressing of the UK version of “Mental Notes” by Split Enz. Pleased to be tightening up my Stranglers collection in ’09 (thanks, Big Mark!). Stump “Complete Anthology” 3CD set isn’t – where are “The Peel Sessions” on CD? Why can’t I find any Telex CD’s other than “Looney Tunes”? I liked Tortoise “Beacons Of Ancestorship” and I waited to get the Japanese CD of it, with an extra track. Pleased to finally get a CD of Darryl Way “Concerto for Electric Violin”. I got 4 x paper sleeve CD’s by The Who in ’09. I enjoyed the “Around Robert Wyatt” 2CD. I got 4 x Yes paper sleeve CD’s in ’09. I got 17 new Frank Zappa titles in ’09, 4 of which were paper sleeve CD’s.


No comments: