Wednesday, January 6, 2010

1972

1-6-10 1972


My old friend Rick Snyder has a theory that almost everything released in 1972 is really good. I must say, he is not far off the mark. I have over 300 initial works that date from 1972 that I really still enjoy.


Some music stuff that occurred in 1972: Il Balletto Di Bronzo “Ys.” (heard it on the FM radio and never looked back), Graham Bond & Pete Brown “Two Heads Are Better Than One” LP, David Bowie “Ziggy Stardust” (rode my bike to the record store to get it), Don Bowman “Hello D.J.” 45, Arthur Brown’s Kingdom Come “Journey” LP, Capability Brown “From Scratch” (still not on CD in 2010), Captain Beyond “Debut Album” with the 3-D cover, Cluster “II” (as I dipped my toe into German music for the first time), Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen “Lost In The Ozone” LP, Creedence Clearwater “Cosmo’s Factory” LP, Curved Air “Phantasmagoria” LP, Deep Purple “Machine Head” LP, E.L.O. “Debut Album” aka “No Answer” LP, John Entwistle “Whistle Rhymes” LP, Faust’s 2nd album “So Far”, hearing “Supper’s Ready” from “Foxtrot” by Genesis on the FM radio, Geronimo Black “Low Riding Man”, Goodthunder “Debut Album” just recently re-issued on CD, Dick Heckstall-Smith “A Story Ended” LP (I got to meet him, years later), Jethro Tull “Living In The Past” collection 2LP and “Thick As A Brick” LP, Jo Jo Gunne “Debut Album” – I have always loved “Run Run Run” and “Shake That Fat”, Elton John “Teenage Idol” from “Don’t Shoot Me…” LP, King Crimson “Earthbound” LP (which sounded horrible, but I would’ve bought ANYTHING they released in ’72), Matching Mole “Little Red Record” LP (where my Robert Wyatt fandom really got going), Ian Matthews “Tigers Will Survive” LP, Monty Python “Previous Record” LP (FM radio, again), Moody Blues “Seventh Sojourn” LP, Mott The Hoople “All The Young Dudes” LP (hey, I was a young dude!), Neu! “Debut album” (see Cluster), Andy Newman “Rainbow” LP (oh, how I loved the Thunderclap Newman “A Hollywood Dream” LP!), Jack Nitzsche “St. Giles Cripplegate” LP (I had to have any LP that looked like this one!), the original soundtrack to “A Clockwork Orange” LP, Le Orme “Uomo Di Pezza” LP, Gary Owens “Put Your Head On My Finger” LP, Pink Floyd “Obscured By Clouds” LP (still my favorite non-Syd P.F. LP), Popol Vuh “Affenstunde” LP, Procol Harum “In Concert” LP, The Rolling Stones “Exile On Main Street” 2LP, Murray Roman “Busted” LP, Roxy Music “Debut Album” (another one I rode my bike to the store to get), Leon Russell “Carney” LP (which I dearly love to this day), Ed Sanders (of The Fugs) “Beer Cans On The Moon” LP, Klaus Schulze “Irrlicht” LP, String Driven Thing “Second self-titled Album”, Supersister “Pudding and Gisteren” LP, T. Rex “The Slider LP (I had really loved “Electric Warrior”, folks), Tower Of Power “Bump City” LP (“Down To The Nightclub”), Pete Townshend “Who Came First” LP, Tractor “Debut Album”, various artist UK sampler album “The New Age Of Atlantic”, Island Records UK 2LP sampler “Bumpers”, Warner / Reprise loss leader sampler LP’s “Burbank” and “The Whole Burbank Catalogue”, Vinegar Joe “Debut Album” (“Never Met A Dog That Took To Me”), Rick Wakeman “The Six Wives Of Henry the 8th” LP, War “The World Is A Ghetto” LP and Frank Zappa / Mothers “Just Another Band From L.A.” (with “Billy The Mountain”, which me & my good friends can quote at length from memory).


These titles were what was important to me in 1972, and many of them still are important to me now.


No comments: