Thursday, April 22, 2010

February 1987


4-22-10 February 1987


I somehow managed to successfully save a new release sheet from Music Week (the British equivalent of Billboard) dated 2/9 – 2/13, 1987. This was while I was still working at an importer in Los Angeles.


Be Bop Deluxe – The Best Of (EMI EMS 1130) LP

Dead Or Alive – Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know (Epic EPC 450257) LP

Earth Opera – The Great American Eagle Tragedy (Edsel ED 215) LP re-issue

Love – Love (Edsel ED 218) LP re-issue

Steve Reich – Six Marimbas (Elektra/Nonesuch K 979138.1) LP

Ten Years After – The Best Of, Vol. 1 (See For Miles SEE 80) LP

Various Artists – The Psychedelic Snarl (Bam Caruso KIRI 024) LP


These are a few of the titles that caught my attention. I was never much of a Be Bop Deluxe fan, but I figured a “Best Of” might do the trick. I didn’t end up getting a copy – until many years later, and even that was a re-mastered CD. Ouch, never could stomach Dead Or Alive. Both Earth Opera and Love were Edsel licensings from the vaults of Elektra Records – classic albums, both. Not sure how long Steve Reich had been signed to Elektra / Nonesuch, but I was quick to snap this one up at the time. Doubt I ever saw the Ten Years After collection – I always look at stuff like that, because you never knew when the re-issue labels would dig up something I didn’t already have – and there’s a few stray TYA tracks lurking. Certainly never saw “The Psychedelic Snarl” – I wonder who’s on it? Bam Caruso could usually do a pretty good job of sifting out the crud from the gold.


There were a handful of other releases this week in England that might appeal:


Jimmy Cliff – Fundamental Reggae (See For Miles SEE 83) LP

Hot Chocolate – The Very Best Of (EMI / RAK EMTV 42) LP

Love Sculpture feat. Dave Edmunds – The Love Sculpture Years, Vol. 1 (EMI EMS 1127) LP

Various Artists – Four From The Madding Crowd: Buchido, Royal Family & The Poor, Intimate Obsessions, Ohama Meets Dania (Third Mind TMLP 16) LP

John Zorn – The Big Gundown (Elektra/Nonesuch K 979139.1) LP


I wonder what Jimmy Cliff material this was made from? Probably not Island label tracks. A TV-advertised Hot Chocolate collection – can’t forget “You Sexy Thing” and “Every 1’s A Winner”! This Love Sculpture collection got past me – I think I didn’t get their rarities until a See For Miles issue about 1990. The Third Mind label are the people who brought you Bill Pritchard, so this is of some interest – who were these artists? And John Zorn releases one in sequence after Steve Reich – with a straight face by WEA UK. I don’t have this one, as I only ever buy John Zorn titles that have John Lurie on them (like “Spillane”).


As we can see by this release sheet, it was not quite ‘CD Time’ as yet…


No comments: