Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ska'd For Life - The Specials book

I found the book by Sir Horace Gentleman, the bassist of The Specials last weekend, in Los Angeles (at Book Soup, actually). I read it in about 3 sittings, a really engaging read, for me. I bought a heap of that stuff, when it was originally released. I don't think I ever saw The Specials, but I definitely saw Madness. I take a look at the Wikipedia article on The Specials - and it says that a number of them have re-formed, at present. Interesting.

The book mentions Rico Rodriguez, rather a lot (as he played and toured with said Specials). I found his CD "Man From Waireka" when I visited Japan last year. Great instrumental dub reggae. I remember thinking, when I got one of the 2-Tone 2CD collections, "This stuff is better than I remembered it!"

2 comments:

chas_m said...

That sounds like enjoyable reading. There's a lot of "story" behind the 2-Tone era that remains untold, I think.

Ron Kane said...

Sir Horace alludes to the fact that he thinks Jerry Dammers should write a book about it, but he doesn't think he ever will...