Tuesday, August 19, 2008

For the birds...


Yes, I have collected records for over 40 years. Yes, I will continue to collect phonograph records. But I am also interested in birds now. I want to take bird photos, in a natural setting - if at all possible. Don't get me wrong, I love the aviaries @ San Diego Zoo! Astonishing! But I am much more interested in natural bird habitat.

Last weekend, I went to Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, California. I took tons of bird photos - and a guy in New Zealand kindly identified them for me (on my Flickr pages). Just like record labels & numbers - am I going to have to do a 'bird list'? Can't I be done with the eternal list-making? Can't I just enjoy the birds?

I would love to have a covey of California quails at my house. I have the room for them, out in the back yard. I could have a cage for them, so I wouldn't have to worry about the quails being attacked by cats (or other beasts). If I raised the quails from being chicks, would they get used to me? And not be so skittish?

I remember wanting a toucan, in the 80's. I was told that they are "messy birds" (being fruit-eaters). Ugh. I don't want to have to shovel tons of bird poop.

Photo is "Anna's Hummingbird" (by me) @ Rancho Santa ana Botanic Garden, Claremont, CA - last Sunday.

My Music Life today is: Flo & Eddie

No comments: